Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Small Sugar Showpiece

Well, my very first sugar showpiece. My hands HURT!! Three pairs of latex gloves didn't help much, but it would have hurt a ton more if I hadn't used them. If you can't tell, it is a bird sitting on a piece of drift wood and then the base and a couple of different things he made us put on there. He had made one and then told us to replicate it. The base is just that, a sugar base. The shiny green thing is marbled sugar with a sugar rose and sugar leaves set on it and a ribbon in front. Then there is lace sugar behind that to kind of mimic water or something. Then the piece of "drift wood" which is straw sugar (sugar that is pulled and has lots and lots of tubes). The bird is blown, I blew it, and the feathers are sugar feathers that I created under my very hot heat lamp that kept my sugar molten. Like I said, my hands hurt, but the up side of working with sugar is that I am no longer afraid of making my Grandma's "White Stuff". I can't wait for my final sugar showpiece, especially now that my hands already hurt.

6 comments:

Rachel said...

that's really cool, I can't believe it's all sugar...it looks just like glass to me.

Shawn Jensen said...

I know I keep saying this, but you are so amazing! We are already missing the holiday dinners you have cooked us in the past.

Sherri said...

Question?? Do you get to bring all the amazing things home for your enjoyment? Mom could use that as a center piece for her R. S. lesson...
Great job...
LOVE
DAD

photomama said...

That is beautiful! You are definitely in the right field!! Love it!

Tausha said...

That is amazing.

Brooke S said...

LOVE IT! Super Amazing!! My hands hurt just looking at it!