Friday, December 5, 2008

Nighttime Story

Last night, when Spencer was shoveling the walk way (YES!! IT SNOWED!!), a neighbor just across the street from us came over to him and told him that he had been robbed the day before, Wednesday, and asked if we had seen anything between 4 o'clock PM and 9 o'clock PM. He said that his laptop and some money were taken. Naturally we didn't, so we just went about our night.

Well, we haven't been setting our alarm at night since we got Jersey because we have to take her out in the middle of the night and tend to forget the alarm is set. Last night, right when we were going to bed, I thought I heard a crash, like blinds being messed with. Spencer didn't think he heard anything, but went looking anyway just for me, nothing.

Well, I was sort-of awake last night, meaning I was trying to go back to sleep, at about 2:45 AM when I heard the chime from one of our three doors to outside. My eyes flew open, my heart skipped a beat and then went right into double beat. I finally got the lump out of my throat and woke up Spencer:

"Spencer," I said, "I think I just heard the chime on the door!"
"Are you sure?!"
"No, I'm not sure, but I think I did."
"What should we do?!!"
"I don't know!"

We laid there in bed with both of our hearts beating like drums. We finally said a little prayer, but we were way too wound up to calm down. Finally, I came up with the idea that he should turn the light on just outside our door and see if he can hear anything, so he did. He didn't.

Then he checked on the girls, they were OK and he looked down and saw the lap top. He then went downstairs and looked in the kitchen and the front room. When he looked in the front room, he noticed that the door from the house into the garage wasn't locked, so he locked it.

When he came back upstairs, he mentioned that that door wasn't locked. I had nervously told him that I had locked it before we went to bed, I was 99.9 % sure I did. When I told Spencer that, we both started to shake and decided to call 911.

Two police officers came at about 3:10 AM and walked through the rest of the house with their big shiny guns out, even talking about it now, I'm getting nervous. Anyway, they looked out in our garage, in our basement, and in the crawl space. Nothing. Thank HEAVEN!!

After they had left, Spencer remembered that he had gone out into the garage AFTER I had locked it because he had shoveled a walkway from our patio window to Jersey's "potty spot" and hadn't relocked the door. The cops had come to the conclusion earlier that some wind or air shift had pushed the door ever so slightly enough to set the chime off, which I didn't think was plausible, but Spencer demonstrated it and sure enough, it can happen.

After having a rock the size of Texas lifted off my chest, I scalded Spencer for not locking the door, not really scalded but reminded him he needs to do that, and we set the alarm and went to bed.

Nothing like a good burglary scare to put you to sleep at night.

1 comment:

Sherri said...

Spencer and Sierra...What a story!!!
we are so glad that you were not robbed..We are so surprised that you would even have that kind of action in your area...WHEN we were out with you we never thought that you would ever have a story like that to tell..Take good care of yourself!!!
LOVE
MOM and DAD