Monday, August 25, 2008

Garden Visitor


So, I was trying to get the girls in their chairs for lunch this afternoon and, as always, it is a chore. When I finally went into the kitchen to tell them one last time to get into their chairs, they were both catatonic. Trying to get their attention, I told them that if they were not going to get into their chairs then they will go in time out, as we always threaten with. They both turned around and told me "SHHHHH!! Look!! A snake.". I thought, "whatever" and I went over and low-and-behold, there was a snake. Right smack dab between two of our grow boxes. I thought I was going to pee my pants!! My mom came down and I told her and she said to throw rocks at it to make it go away, nope, didn't work. I called Spencer at work and he told me to leave it alone so that he could see it and to take pictures and video (he was really excited, as for me I was thinking "SNAKE!!! RUN!!!). After we threw rocks at it, it squirmed more into our yard and I realized it wasn't a rattler, PHEW!!! I did, however, find out it is a Great Plains Rat Snake, I was thinking Boa and, in a way, I was right. It is a constrictor not venomous which made me feel a whole lot more at ease. It still is freaky though. I'm just happy it isn't a rattler, I don't think my children would ever have a life outside this house if it were.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

that is sooooo freaky! I don't think I want to go out to see your garden anymore :) We found one of these snakes in Anthony's parents garden when we lived with them, I was petrified.

I hope you don't have any more garden visitors

Sherri said...

Wow what a neat thing!!!That snake looks like the ones out on our old dry farm. My Dad would catch them and bring them up close to us. so we could see them and touch them.. I never did like to catch them..I would like to see it eat something, like a big rat...Have fun with all your visitors...
Love, The Schumann's

jjertmann said...

Aaaaaah! I would freak out. That thing looks huge! But I guess there's pests no matter where you go. But snakes? I don't know if I could handle that one. Aaaaah!