Sunday, August 31, 2008

End of August

This week was so busy, but fun. At school we learned to make Bavarian Cream, my now favorite dessert, YUMMY!!! It was really fun to make. We practiced our plating techniques as well. This is a picture of one of my Bavarian Creams with strawberry sauce.

The Chef told me that I pipe really nice lines. I like it when he compliments me because I feel like I have actually done something right. This is, after all, what I want to do and when he compliments me I feel like I actually might have a chance.

My mom and I were invited to a double baby shower on Saturday. Spencer's cousin, Rachel, is expecting a baby boy the end of September and there is another girl in her ward that is expecting a boy around the same time, so they had a double baby shower. It was so much fun. I was asked to make the cake for the shower and I chose to do individual cheesecakes. I made 4 regular size cheesecakes and I cut 23 individual cheesecakes out of those. I then made 5 different "mousses" to go with them. I made a mango mousse, raspberry mousse topped with ganache, pistachio mousse topped with ganache, lime curd mixed with a little whipped cream to tone down the sweetness of the curd, and whipped chocolate ganache. They kept saying that they thought I had gotten them at Whole Foods, but I thought I could've done them better. They sure tasted good, but they didn't look as "smooth" as I hoped they would be. Naturally, I see all the flaws.


Later Saturday afternoon, Anthony, Rachel's hubby, called and invited us to go miniature golfing. This was the first time the girls had ever miniature golfed. They had so much fun. We lost Avary for a little bit, but found her, thank heavens. I felt my whole world crumble around me. After she got lost she took a little more to the game. She was kind of playing in and out of the game.


After we found her, and I finally started to breathe, the first thing she said to me was, "I want Gee-Wah". What a poop! Here I am, out of breath from running everywhere trying to find her and yelling her name panicking, and she wants her gee-wah. What am I, chopped liver???!!! I forgive her though. She's too cute to be mad at. I was so grateful that we found her though. I don't know what I would've done if I lost my Bellie.

CJ did really well. She had so much fun. On one hole, she got the ball in by three strokes all by herself. Spencer and I were really impressed. She knew right away how to play and how to hold the club, but she called it a "swatter". We might have a professional in the making.

She kept telling Spencer and I to keep our eyes on the ball, like she was the coach. It was really sweet. She put her two cents in after we found Avary, she started mocking me by running in place and calling Avary. Then she would turn around and smile at me and do it again. I feel the love.

We had a lot of fun golfing together with the whole family and with Rachel and her family. We all got to bed a little too late and were REALLY tired for church this morning, but I think it was worth it.

After church, CJ, on her own, lined up all her toy dinosaurs. I took a picture because it was really impressive. She lined them up big to small. She is so smart and so is Avary. They shock me everyday with what they know. Like tonight, they were finding words that rhymed with other words, and both of them found rhymes that I wouldn't think they knew. I am so blessed to have such smart children. They DEFINITELY take after their daddy.

PS- Just an update on our "Garden Visitor". On Thursday it came back and scared my mom half out of her pants. She was picking our tomatoes and it hissed at her and she just about died. It was there the whole day. When Spencer got home he went outside to take a gander and he saw that it had wrapped itself around our netting and was caught really bad. It was NOT happy. He cut it loose and it finally slithered away. Yesterday when he was mowing, he saw a baby snake in our yard. It slithered away into our neighbors yard, but when he came in and told my mom, my mom just about died, again. I guess she doesn't like snakes. I don't think she wants to go outside anymore.

6 comments:

Sherri said...

Sounds like a great family activity - miniature golfing! What talented kids! We are glad Avary was found, and the scary giant snakes didn't get her!!!

Love, from the Schumann Farm

Sherri said...

The baby shower desserts you made look so pretty and tasty...WOW!! Lucky ones that got to eat them! Looks like talent and smarts run in the family!!

Schumanns

Rachel said...

we're glad you guys came minature golfing with us, it was fun. And, thanks again for the delicious cheescake.

I love CJ's dino's all lined up, cute!

jjertmann said...

Yea for mini golf! And your cheesecakes look delicious and beautiful. That's a sweet looking bavarian cream plating too. Sleek.

Tausha Schumann said...

Your desserts look really beautiful! You're doing a great job. I especially like the picture of the one on the top. It looks like something someone would charge 50 bucks for in a fancy restaurant. Keep up the good work!!!

Tausha Schumann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.