Monday, November 12, 2012

Halloween!

Although it will almost be Thanksgiving when this post is published, I had to post it.

This Halloween was fun.  The girls are starting to get out of their cutesie wootsie phase and into their "dark" phase of Halloween.  This year CJ was an evil fairy.  She used a ballet costume from her 2011 recital and we found wings that matched.  I played with her hair and makeup and she looked AWESOME! 

Avary had found a costume at our thrift store, but they didn't have her size so we went to a costume store and found one there.  She was a spider countess.  It was super fun to do her hair except for her complaining.  ;)  I teased her hair and put plastic spider rings in her hair.  After she was all made up she looked pretty AWESOME too.  I didn't realize how fair skinned she was until we put dark makeup on her.  She looked so pale, it was spooky.

Spencer found a pumpkin costume for Reed at the thrift store.  He was so dang cute.  I wish I could describe fully how cute he was when he went trick-or-treating, but words just can't describe it.  When he walked the bottom of the pumpkin costume would waddle the opposite way.  Just, you needed to see it.

Spencer also found a Pharaoh costume at the thrift store for himself and he got super excited about it.  Spencer NEVER dresses up for Halloween and this year he went ALL out.  Even eye makeup.  Well, since he was going to be a Pharaoh then I had the idea of being Cleopatra.  Well, that made Spencer even more excited.  I found a costume and that is how we went to our trunk-or-treat and Chili cook off.

So I had a firm belief that the chili cook off was rigged.  The same people have been winning in the same categories since we moved it.  Well, I always make some sort of hot soup and this year I decided on a turkey chili.  I had no expectations to win.  Well, I won best non-traditional chili.  I am STILL shocked.  I was happy how it turned out, but like I said, I didn't expect to win.

The pumpkins we carved this year really turned out awesome.  Reed even designed his own pumpkin.  We took a drawing of his and it looked like eyes and a mouth and so Spencer carved it into a pumpkin.  It ended up being my favorite.  Avary's pumpkin had feathers coming out of the head.  My mom's was pretty traditional with the slanted eyes and triangle nose.  Spencer's were two little pumpkins as eyes.  He used pie pumpkins and ended up having to use his power tool to carve because it was too hard to do by hand.  Mine had the eyes all askew and the mouth wide open and Reeds is the one with only one pupil.  CJ didn't get to carve her idea because she had kicked Avary (CJ has problems with that).  So, Spencer took her pumpkin and did a vomiting pumpkin.  It was sad that CJ didn't get to do it because she had an AWESOME idea.  She wasn't too happy about it, but she needed to understand the seriousness of her being violent.  Unfortunately she inherited my temper when I was her age.  :(

For dinner we had mini mummy dogs with bloody fingers (lil' smokies in BBQ sauce), garbage salad (coleslaw with blue cheese dressing), fried worms (Cheetos), fried skin (Funyons and Doritos), and witches brew.  For dessert, mud pie with worms.  The only sad thing about Halloween was that everyone and I mean EVERYONE was done by 8 o'clock.  Halloween just isn't what it used to be.  We had too much candy left over.  It was fun though.


CJ informed me when I was taking her hair out after trick-or-treating that next year she wants to be a vampire....I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!! 

3 comments:

Kkelly said...

They look AWESOME!! Good job mom! And I love how you took a drawing of Reeds and used that for his pumpkin, how clever!

Sherri said...

I love that you guys go all out to celebrate Halloween! How fun for your kid's and yourselves! Cool costumes, and spooky gross food. Awesome pumpkin carvings - vomit and all. Congrats on your turkey chilli too!

Heather said...

I love the pictures! Sounds like such a fun night for you all (minus the kicking of course hehe).