Wednesday, February 25, 2009

This Weeks Efforts

Well, I finished my first cake in class this week. It was a half sheet cake that he wanted us to do. the icing is Italian Buttercream and the filling is a Bavarian. I am not happy with the final result. I felt too much pressure to finish even though he said we could take all the time we needed.

In Artisan breads we made display breads. They are edible, but they don't taste good, so you wouldn't want to eat them anyway. I was really happy with how the display breads turned out. They were pretty fun to make, too, but they took a lot of strength because of the density of the bread.

My Chef instructor also asked me to stay after class yesterday to help him decorate cookies again. I missed class on Monday because of a migraine and, aparently, he wanted me to come in and help him make them again, but since I wasn't in class he figured I wasn't well. Instead, he asked me to stay after my breads class and help him decorate. It was really fun. We did less cookies this time than when we did the Valentine's cookies.


I was at school from 7 am to 11 pm yesterday, but I really enjoy working with him. I sure learn a lot about this kind of stuff. He asked me what my plans were after I graduate, like what I want to be doing. I told him I wanted to be decorating cakes and small confections like I am doing. I guess he liked that answer because he told me to make sure he has my number because he is in the process of leasing or buying some space for his business and wants me to work there. I'm really excited because I feel like, as students, we don't get enough time to study and work on the things that we are most interested in. This quarter has 3 weeks left already and we are barely starting cakes. It's really sad.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

those breads look amazing! And look at all those cooking, oh my goodness! That's awesome your professor is so interested in you and your work.

photomama said...

I love the breads!!! They are amazing! You are really talented! Good job on the millions of cookies, too! I think it is cool that you have been able to forge a relationship with your "chef" so that you have a job possibility after school!
The cake looks yummy, even if it isn't what you wanted it to be. What is "Italian Buttercream"? Did you use butter and cream from Italy? LOL! Is it yummy?
Love you!

Sherri said...

The breads are BEAUTIFUL!! I bet your sweet girls and Spencer sure miss you while you are gone so long!!
Love, MOM