Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Fist Week of School

It is only two days into my first week of school, and I am BEAT and already have something to blog about. I have a pretty tiring schedule this quarter. I have classes all day Mondays and Tuesdays and then a morning class on Thursdays. The all day classes mean that I wake up at 5:00 am and don't get home until around 7:00 pm. I am so tired, I can barely eat with my eyes open. I love being back with my friends from school, but it seems to be more difficult leaving my family at home this time around. I feel like the girls and I really bonded over the break, I miss them something fierce.

I have a friend, Bonnie, in my pastry classes that has a pretty strong personality but I love her for it. You never want to tick her off or get on her bad side. There is this other girl, Amy, who is the same except she "pretends" that she is your friend and then stabs you in the back. Amy is known for spreading rumors, a LOT of rumors at school. Anyway, the first day of school, I walked in and saw Amy sitting there in the lab and I immediately knew that this was going to be a very "interesting" quarter with both her and Bonnie in the same room. Nerves were touched the first day and it sort of escalated from there. It shouldn't have been a surprise that they broke out into a fight last night in class. It wasn't physical, just LOUD! So loud in fact that the cute little deaf girl in the class could hear yelling. It really started when Amy took advantage of a situation where the Chef had left the room. As soon as he left, she shut the door and started to yell at the class that frustrations about the class being vented was going to stop and it was going to stop then and there and what she says goes. The class was a mess yesterday as far as organization goes. We were all really frustrated and were venting to each other to help us get the frustration out. Well, Amy started to gather little pieces of information and was twisting them into rumors that we wanted to get a lynch mob together and try to fire the Chef, which was TOTALLY NOT true. Well, when Amy started to twist things around while she was yelling at us, Bonnie stood up for the class and they both got into it pretty heavy and REALLY fast. I wanted to stop it, but it escalated too fast for me to do anything and I just left it alone. Pretty soon Jill, the student adviser for culinary students, came in and stopped it. She is this little petite thing that I personally would never want to mess with. I knew that this blow up was going to happen, I just didn't think it was going to happen this soon or in class. Anyway, Jill let the class out last night and demanded that all of us fill out incident reports. This was all on the second day of class after our winter break. The week isn't over yet and I have 10 more weeks left of these classes. How excited am I.

I am really enjoying my classes regardless of the frustration that comes with having a Chef teach a course he has never taught before but definitely has the experience to do so. I am sad that these are my last lab classes I have with Chef Winter. He is the Senior Pastry Chef in the school and knows his stuff. I wish I had more classes with him, but I am looking forward to working with him on a volunteer basis to learn more. I hope my class tomorrow is something that I can understand and grasp fast because I am WAY too tired to concentrate right now.

2 comments:

Sherri said...

Sounds like a real cat & dog fight! It's hard to believe some people can be so immature! Good luck on the next 10 weeks! Love, MOM

Rachel said...

Good luck this semester. Those girls act like they're in high school--not college.