Monday, January 23, 2012

Happy 33rd Birthday Spencer!!


This year was hard to plan.  Spencer is the WORST person to shop for and he is HORRIBLE at making decisions.  As I was looking for something to make him for dinner, I came across a recipe that sounded so yummy and then I expanded from there.  As I went on it started to feel like an elegant dinner so what we did was set the "mood" by dimming the lights with a lace table cloth and we all dressed up really nice.

 

 When Spencer got home he was pretty surprised.  It was awesome!  We even ate like we were at a fancy restaurant: first salad, then entree', then dessert.  It was fun.

We started off with an apple and celery salad with homemade blue cheese dressing:



The girls didn't like the dressing too much so we put ranch on theirs.

After the salad I served dinner.  We had a Sicilian Beef Roll with polenta triangles and mushroom sauce.  (Glorified meatloaf.  By the way, thank you Aunt Sy for the Junior League Cookbook that you gave us for our wedding.)  It was way good. A LOT of food, but yummy.  I think Spencer was the only one of us that actually finished the plate.

 

After dinner we skyped with his parents for a while.  He opened his present while we were skyping.  Like I said, he is the worst to shop for.  I remembered something that our cousin, Rachel did for her husband once and so what I ended up doing was getting him a gift certificate to this indoor skydiving place we have here in Denver.  He seemed real excited about it.  I'm glad that I FINALLY got him something that he will enjoy.  (Thank you Rachel for the idea.)  We even sang to him while they were on skype, it was pretty neat.

This years cake was a different one, but delicious none the less.  It was a lemon cake with lemon coconut cream cheese icing and covered with toasted coconut:




Happy birthday Dear.  We all love you very much.

2 comments:

Jackson Family said...

happy birthday Spencer-the cake and dinner looks delicious, Sierra! I hope Spencer has fun skydiving-Anthony loved it! I agree-men are hard to shop for.

Sherri said...

It was so fun to skype with you guys on Spencer's birthday! That was fun sharing part of it with him - almost made us feel like we were right there...except we couldn't taste all the yummy food...looked SO good! The skydiving thing is a Great idea - you'll probably need to blog about that one when he does it! It was fun to see everyone on Skype...kids are growing too fast though...Love you guys!